by Penny Keay © 2012
Summer is quickly approaching and now is the time to get your
Essential oil First Aid kit ready for all the activities you and your family will be having.
Donít forget to pack your First Aid kit with some of the following essential oils. Put them in a Zip bag or Case and stow them in your Suitcase for use any time while traveling too. Be sure to have these basic oils in your Storage case for use at all times.
The oils of choice are:
• Lavender: Stings and bites, burns, bruises, scrapes. It has analgesic, antiseptic and more properties to help heal wounds. Not to mention the calming effect it will have to the person affected.
• Tea Tree: Good for all types of infections. It is antifungal, antiviral and anti bacterial. Good for all kinds of skin wounds and irritations from sunburn, to acne, athleteís foot and more.
• Peppermint: Known for its anti-nausea and indigestion relief. Peppermint also helps with headaches, sinus congestion and even for painful joints! I recently read where adding a few drops to some calamine lotion, helps relieve and heal Poison ivy lesions more quickly! Oh and if you are camping, Peppermint will help keep the ants away from the picnic table, the mice out of your tent and other unwanted pests away too! (Al just mentioned that if you go camping in bear country, you should be cautious about using any essential oil as some bears are easily attracted to sweet scents.)
• Roman Chamomile and/or German Chamomile: Excellent to help you and your children relax and fall asleep more easily after a day of excitement. Of course, they also have anti-inflammatory properties and are helpful for burns, bee stings, nettle rashes, and other injuries.
• Eucalyptus : Best known to help relieve congestion from coughs and colds. But did you know that it is also an excellent insect repellent? Especially Eucalyptus citriodora aka Eucalyptus Lemon, Eucalyptus has great antiseptic and antiviral properties. It is anti-inflammatory and a mild analgesic (relieves pain). There are several varieties of Eucalyptus and any of them would be a great addition to your kit.
• Rosemary : This wonderful stimulating essential oil is great to use on long road trips. It will give you a pick me up and will be great after a long and tiring day. Rosemary is also one of Al's recommendations along with Peppermint to use for those headaches that can pop up out of nowhere. Just a drop or two mixed with a little carrier oil and rubbed on the back of your neck and shoulders will relieve those headaches within a few minutes. Use Rosemary on painful muscles and joints too!
• Thyme: This is a superb antiviral essential oil. It also has great antibacterial and antifungal properties. Please DO NOT OVER use this oil. It is very potent and should not be used on an ongoing basis. It should be used diluted only. Use when needed and do not use beyond where you are healed and well.
• Lemon: Best known for its antiseptic and disinfecting properties. Lemon will freshen and clean most all surfaces. Can be very effective on insect bites. Some folks have found headache relief from using Lemon oil too. Avoid sun exposure if you use lemon oil in any blend applied to the skin as it can cause a photo-toxic reaction.
• Clove bud: Antiseptic, antibacterial, analgesic are the most important properties held by Clove bud oil. It is great for toothaches and other pains, such as painful joints and muscles. Be sure to dilute with a carrier oil before applying to the skin. It is one oil that could cause a skin reaction (burning sensation).
• Helichrysum: Great analgesic, antibacterial and helps if used on bruises shortly after they occur. It will reduce the discoloration and help heal the bruise very quickly. Because it has analgesic properties bumps and bruises won't be as painful.
There are several synergy blends you may be interested in adding to your 'First Aid Kit' too. See our Synergy blend kits located on our Sampler kits page. Or maybe a Decoder kit with a handy Decoder with several essential oils included.
For all your aromatherapy needs please visit us on line at:
CLICK HERE for our ON LINE CATALOG
If you would like to receive an e-mail notice when more helpful Aromatherapy articles are available Please sign up below!
|Sign up for e-mail Notices for the AROMATHERAPY Articles & more|
Don't forget to BOOKMARK this page for your next visit!
Birch Hill Happenings Aromatherapy, LLC
2898 County Road 103
Barnum, MN 55707-8808
Copyright © 2012 Penny Keay
Please do not use my information without my written permission.
Get a helpful
for all our
This search is within Birch Hill Happenings Aromatherapy Website only.